Creative Writing Contests
WVCEOSCreative Writing Contest Guidelines
● The Creative Writing Contest is a short story contest. It is a contest for storytellers, not for news or news feature reporters. Each county may send one short story to the West Virginia Community Educational Outreach Service contest. It must have been written within the last year.
● CEOS members should submit their short stories to their County Purposeful Reading Chairperson, who will arrange local judging.
● The short story should have no more than 500 words.
● A CEOS member who is not a professional writer must write the short story. ( That means she or he receives no compensation for the story.)
● The short story does not have to be published to be eligible.
● The short story should be typed and stored securely inside a folder or notebook.
● The folder’s identification should include the writer’s name, address, telephone number, CEOS Club, and county.
● The Purposeful Reading Chairperson will provide the judging criteria to those judging the creative writing short stories.
● All entries will be displayed at the County Fair with the winner being announced on Monday night.
● The Purposeful Reading Chairperson will send the winning Short Story to the WVCEOS competition. Deadline: September 15th.
Mail entry to:
276 McCallister Road
Summersville, WV 26651